Your Questions, answered

Here you will find a number of frequently asked questions about our services and offerings at travelwildtibet. If you still have pending doubts after going through the FAQ page, please get in touch with us directly and we will provide answers. We are always happy to hear from our you.

What to bring when you travel to Tibetan regions or western part of P.R.C

The following list is meant to act as a guide. Not every item will be required by every traveler. Feel free to contact us if you are unsure of how useful any particular item may be for you.

  • passport with Chinese visa

  • sunscreen (+50 )

  • hand sanitizer

  • earplugs

  • water bottle (should be leak proof; you will use your water bottle to cool boiling water or to treat water if necessary)

  • warm sleeping bag (depends where and when travel/ email for specifics)

  • lock for luggage

  • small towel

  • bandana — (for dusty car rides, etc.)

  • backpack (for carrying personal items during the day such as wallet, camera, hand sanitizer, etc.)

  • rain cover for backpack if trekking (a rain cover can be especially useful when traveling on dirty buses, or when your pack is on the roof of a bus in a rainstorm)

  •  feminine products (especially tampons–hard to find)

  • toiletries (especially dental floss & deodorant–hard to find)

  • any medications which you take regularly

  • digital camera + memory car

  •  flashlight + batteries/battery charger

  • adaptor for electronic products (such as mobile phone charger, laptop, etc.)

  • pocket knife (although keep in mind that knives are not allowed on trains, buses and any public transportations in China)

  • supplemental food / snacks (chocolate is always nice)

  •  pocket Chinese/English or Tibetan/English dictionary and/or phrase book

  • journal, book to read

  • small gifts from your state or country (new friends enjoy having something from where you came from)

  • plastic slippers to wear in the shower (shower floors are not always clean) – this can be easily bought once you arrive

  • here chapstick with UV protection

  • lotion (this is a dry and arid environment)


Jacket (good for windy, rainy, and cold weather), thermal underwear shirts/long-sleeved shirts, jeans/trekking pants, underwear, warm socks, warm gloves, warm hat, good pair of sunglasses, good walking/hiking boots, outdoor sandals

Medical Kit Suggestions

  1. aspirin / pain reliever

  2. multivitamins

  3. calamine lotion, sunburn relief, aloe

  4. antiseptic (for cuts)

  5. anti-bacterial lotion / soap

  6. eye drops for dry or windy weather

  7. insect repellant

  8. moleskin (for blisters)

  9. bandages, band-aids, gauze

  10. antibiotics

  11. antihistamine (for allergies, itching, preventing motion sickness)

  12. diarrhea medicines, laxatives

  13. antibiotics for Traveler’s Diarrhea

  14. rehydration mixture / electrolyte replacement mixture

  15. altitude sickness medication (only one type of medicine is sold in China, called Hong Jing Tian; you may want to bring medicine from your home country if you have access to better medication there)

  16. motion sickness pills

  17. jet lag pills

  18. personal perscriptions

What about the altitude sickness?

Things to Know about Travel at High Altitude

The Tibetan Plateau has an average elevation of 3600m. (12000ft.) It is important to know what to expect, and what precautions you should take when traveling at these elevations. There are many different factors that can affect how you respond to high altitude. Some of these are how much you excercise, how quickly you ascend, if you are ill, smoking, and others that are more comprehensively explained in the below links. Consult with your TWT local tour leaders on specific syndrome.

Some things you can do to help prevent altitude sickness are: stay well hydrated, decrease salt intake, do not be too physically active, eat high carbohydrate and low fat meals, reduce alcohol and caffeine intake.

Other factors at high altitude include intense sun exposure and colder temperatures. Make sure to bring sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses. In Tibet the temperatures can change by the hour. It is important to dress in layers. Have a wind proof and water proof outer shell, and insulate inside with good base layers and mid layers. In the fall, winter, and spring a down coat is a good option for easily staying warm.

Do I need travel insurance?

Enter your answer here. Be thoughtful, write clearly and concisely, and consider adding written as well as visual examples. Go over what you’ve written to make sure that if it was the first time you were visiting the site, you’d understand your answer.


The Centers for Disease Control provides current information on recommended immunizations for those travelling to China. Please visit the following link for this information: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/china.aspx

How do I find out about  Chinese visa requirements?

Obtaining a Chinese Visa

Instructions on how to apply for a Chinese visa should be available on the website of the Chinese embassy of your home residence or country. Please bear in mind that the visa application process can take several days or weeks. Please allow for sufficient time to obtain your visa prior to travel.

Click here http://www.visarite.com/China_Visa_Form.htm to access a copy of the Chinese visa application form (in English).

TWT  wants you to travel safe, travel fun and travel right. Contact us for any additional questions!


  • Travel Wild Tibet

©2020 by Travel Wild Tibet